
Track: "Love Song"
Artist: The Cure
Album: Disintegration
Rating: 5
With the day of love coming up and all, I'm nominating "Love Song" by The Cure as my track of the week. Yeah yeah, i'm sappy and all that, but this song is truly remarkable by any criteria. One of the many things that continually amazes me about The Cure is how memorably many of the guitar, keyboard, and bass parts figure as independent melodies, that not only support the vocals, but also function independently. To be fair, in some of The Cure's less successful songs, the instrumentals are considerably more memorable than the vocals. But often, as in the case of "Love Song", the genius of Robert Smith is exhibited in haunting, understated sentiment amidst perfectly crafted, intricately layered melodic instrumentals. The words aren't bad either:
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am home again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am whole again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am young again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am fun again
However far away
I will always love you
However long I stay
I will always love you
Whatever words I say
I will always love you
I will always love you
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am free again
Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am clean again
However far away
I will always love you
However long I stay
I will always love you
Whatever words I say
I will always love you
I will always love you
I would place this track among my top 10 love songs of all time. It's perfect. Not even the best of The Cure, but it's perfect. What track or tracks would you nominate to the Love Song Hall of Fame?
2 comments:
Our first dance at our wedding was Love Cats by the Cure.
We didn't want anything too heavy.
I am partial to "sexy Motherfucker" by Prince - "no, not your body, your mind, you fool", but then again I am half black!
Post a Comment