3/5/07

rotten windows

Two months after I informed the evil empire estate-agent that there was strong evidence of water damage to our window frames, a repair man actually came to assess the situation. He was amiable enough, until he saw the windows. I took his Slovenian profanity (I made some split-second assumptions) as an indication that the problem wouldn't be fixed in a morning. This was confirmed by his broken English, "There is not way my company is touching that!"

I called the estate-agent again... blablabla "we'll try to call the land-lord and sort it out really soon."

The ambiguity of such commitments implies a concerning apathy to the salient features of my report: the bits about the probability of the window falling out of the frame and hurtling from the 2nd storey towards the pedestrians below....

I miss Boonsboro, where windows don't rot because you paint the frames yourself when they start to peel.


5 comments:

Thrushsong said...

It makes me happy that you remember Boonsboro as a place where maintenance is performed in a timely manner. I hope that your memory will become my reality.

Stephanie said...

Hey Evan...just wanted to tell you that I finally got new strings on my guitar (first time since you changed them after Newbold). Pathetic, I know. Don't kill me. :) One of the strings has actually been broken for, oh, probably 2 years. But I have to say, it's nice to be playing again. It's almost as if no time has passed...except for the pain of acquiring new calluses. But I'm almost there. :)

Alexander Carpenter said...

Yo Evan,

Just had George and Moriah over at my place last weekend and your name came up as we are organizing our next Burning Man crew this year. We'll also be hunting Golden Trout in MT the week before, so if you're around the West in late Aug. look us up.

Amanda said...

I feel your pain. The windows at our last abode were diabolical. They were the inspiration for endless complaint on my part (Peter can, and I'm sure will, attest to this), and I guarantee you that the frames will rot and collapse in a pile of rubble before the landlord lifts a finger to repair the ancient, rusting iron structures.

Second only to location, the immaculate windows in our new home was key to our purchase (at least for me). I am deleriously happy with their appealing PVC smoothness to this day.

I was just discussing the general state of decay of so many lovely, columned, crumbling London edifices with a colleague last week. I commented on how happy I was that we were able to find a nice NEW flat...

...Imagine her astonishment when I clarified that by "new" I meant "erected in this century." Longlands Court was build in the early '50s!

Evan said...

belated responses: miss quick, better late than never, I'm so glad you're playing again...you always had a mean 12 bar blues in your arsenal.

alex, i'm really pleased to make contact again...the Spectrum page merits further perusal, and though I'll probably have to write my MA dissertation in london this summer, burning man and trout hunting sounds fantastic.

amanda, thanks for feeling my pain. i'm glad i'm not alone in the satisfaction gained from whingeing about windows!