My parents live just outside the town of Boonsboro in western maryland. I arrived here from London a week ago tomorrow. Almost immediately, friends and family have been asking me if I'm experiencing "culture shock". On the face of it, the phrase seems much too strong for my feelings and thoughts of the last week. I've experienced change but not shock, and the change has felt more personal than cultural.
This weekend my sister will be coming up from Tennessee where she is a nursing student. I'll be quite interested to see how she's getting on. Surely re-entry into the affluence and excess of America after a year in the Amazonian jungle would require a larger degree of cultural adjustment: I wasn't falling asleep to the sound of rats running around my hut, I wasn't spending days at a time on river boats, nor was I walking over a mile to barter for groceries at the nearest market (I'm pretty sure Ansley experienced all of these things on a regular basis)!
I lived in West London, I fell asleep to the shriek of motor scooters careening through the roundabout, I found myself obliged to spend days at a time at the British Library, I frequently walked a quarter of a mile to a French cafe as closer ones had "inferior" croissants. So perhaps the idea of me experiencing culture shock- at least in comparison to my saint of a sister - is a bit of a farce.
With that said. I havn't sought out a great deal of America since I've returned. The past week has been almost exclusively spent within the restful confines of my parents' home. We've been sleeping (a lot), eating fresh apple pie and homemade ice cream, reading books on win dixie and shakespeare the thinker, and talking about the past and the future. Perhaps part of the reason I fail to feel shocked is the fact that I havn't turned on the television (including news) once since I've been back. Perhaps my blissful re-entry into a stupor of comfort and disengagement is the most shocking thing of all...
Despite all my thoughts and worries at the close of the 12 month stint, I'm Lonely for London, but its been good to be back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
welcome to the US. i'm sure everyone's glad to have you back. :)
While you and Jenny were away, I experienced your adventures vicariously (aided by your emails, phone calls and digitized photos). I also anticipated your return and dreamed of the conversations we would have. It's been so good to be together again.
nice to see you last weekend. happy paddling.
Hey Evan!! It's been great to visit with you guys. I hope you have a lovely weekend and a safe trip home. Keep in touch!! We're looking forward to visiting you in Montana sometime soon! :)
Soup! Soup!
Tasty Soup! Soup!
a-Spicy carrot and coriander
(Chilli chowder)
Crouton! Crouton!
- Crunchy friends in a liquid broth
I am gespatchio - Oh!
I am a summer soup - Mmmm!
Miso! Miso!
(Fighting in the dojo)
Miso! Miso!
Oriental Prince in the land of soup!
erika and i went to montana for vacation this year. i really liked it. maybe we can see you there some day.
we also went to idaho... it was nice too. pictures:
www.flickr.com/photos/newaesthetic
Post a Comment