There is nowhere on the planet I'd rather be this week than right where I am.
Some of London's trees are already fully leafed while others are weighed down with fragrant buds. I'm so glad that I'm taking care of the Balderstone's cat this week, as it affords me the justification of long luxurious walks up and down Holland Park Avenue in the mornings and evenings: walking under the stately trees and nodding at the butchers, wine merchants, baristas, bakers, and of course the unabashedly posh people who have nothing better to do than continue reading Le Monde and have just one more of those sublime croissants with the second macchiato of the morning.
It's not merely the idea of living in one of the beautiful shaded homes of Holland park with their gated gardens and ideal locations that seduces, but the surreal lifestyle; not the promise of unrestrained materialism that beckons, though this is not without its temptations, but the idealistic promise of the comfortable, cultured, guiltless pursuit of familial and intellectual pleasures. Who are these people? And who are they kidding? Me?
And, abrubtly, I revert to Hume (the exam countdown continues). I must wait for this evening's stroll and resume considerably less soothing matters such as whether synthetic a priori propositions are knowable. If I go out, kite flying might seem much more important.
Extra points if you can guess the title reference.
8 comments:
Frost?
so... erika and i are going to glacier for a vacation this summer. any lodging recommendations?
Robert Burns :)
Please don't ask me how I know that.
He also wrote
"Wee sleekit cowrin timorous beastie"
Thank you for creating a window on your world through which we can look and smile.
Aft hae I roved by bonnie Doon
to phil: I stayed in a motel just outside one of the main park entrances that was spartan but clean...don't remember the name. If I can get anything more useful from the montana family I'll send it your way...
Kudos to Miss quick. and to Thrushsong for waxing poetic.
Evan, what a gorgeous city you live in! :) I'm glad that you are enjoying it so! Thank you SO MUCH for the great time that you showed us while we visited. You can check out my website of the trip on my blog page. Good luck with upcoming exams! Love, Jen
Post a Comment