The morning's headlines (quoted from the Independent) were: "VICTORY! Iranian President claims a diplomatic triumph as British hostages are freed" and "REJOICE! British Prime Minister celebrates a peaceful solution to the hostage crisis." Whatever else is said about President Ahmadinejad, he can certainly stage a PR coup. It was surreal listening to the servicemen asking the forgiveness of the Iranian people while shaking his hand after the televised press conference. The President was the model of benevolence as he shook hands: "How are you? So you come on a mandatory vacation?!"
The morning events should add interest to our evening plans. Tonight J. and I are attending the birthday party of one of the doctors in the practice she works at. He is Iranian, supports Bush administration foreign policy, and will be introducing us to "the best Iranian restaurant in London." Perhaps the conversation will paddle in less controversial waters, but it's certainly possible I might have the opportunity to play devils' advocate with the good doctor and argue that Iranian policy came out on top this time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
how did it go?
It was a fantastic evening. The food was endless, varied, and particularly suited to carnivores. I was gobsmacked by the quantities. As for the discussion, it stayed fairly conservative once jenny and I happily agreed that our collective title for the dinner would be 'The Imperialists.' After that, smooth sailing.
Post a Comment