9/29/06

I had my introduction to the philosophy department yesterday. 5 minutes into the first paper - which I think was proposing a new take on Organicism vs. Elimitivism, and the Sorities paradox with respect to the chair (in this case Van Gogh's) as real object or chair-wise arrangement of simples - of this weekend's graduate conference I realized I was deep in the drink.

One member of the faculty was particularly impressive. Throughout the 2 hour presentation and response he maintained a frenetic and continuous binge of PDA gaming, only to shut the thing off at the end and offer the most destructive and original of all challenges to the presenter's thesis.

Talked to him afterwords. We complained about the heat.

3 comments:

Thrushsong said...

Thanks for the word picture. I am imagining what it must be like to experience that sort of thing.

Stephanie said...

Crazy how people can listen so closely while seeming completely oblivious. When does your program begin?

Jennifer Payne said...

Man I'm so jealous. What awesome intellectual stimulation you must be having every day... So cool!