11/10/05

Is Starbucks Evil?



Amanda's joyous 'Tis the season' posting combined with the follow-up on gasmeter, resurrected old, conflicted Starbucks emotions. No one in their right mind could discredit the seasonal latte sentiment, in fact I feel equally excited about the shiny red bags of fragrant Christmas blend - what the hell do they put in this stuff?





But for some time I've felt guilty, even ashamed, for purchasing drinks at the fastest growing coffee chain in the world, spending $3-$4 for a single delicious beverage when some of the Third World laborers involved in its production are happy to take home $15 dollars a year. Lacking first-hand experience of many Third World countries or much of a grasp of global economics, I don't understand the precise financial and social implications of coffee imperialism. However, while perusing the internet, I found plenty of amusing hate-sites (www.starfuckz.com), and a shortage of reliable, damning evidence. Starbucks' inclusion of Fairtrade options in its stores seems to have calmed many of its critics, though Fairtrade coffees still account for a relatively small percentage of their annual intake. But even if Starbucks exclusively sold Fairtrade blends, would everything be solved? Fairtrade is getting pretty trendy, what with Coldplay and all, but how much does it really help?




However blameless Starbucks may or may not be in The Third World, it's undeniable that they're putting some fabulous Mom & Pop joints out of business. I remember my first negative run-in with corporate globalization. While visiting the charming Swiss city of Bern, I walked down medieval streets looking for the perfect patisserie and finding....Seattle....again. I spent a couple of pleasant hours in that damn starbucks.

In Missoula, Starbucks is only slowly gaining a footing. The passionate tree-hugger constituency has kept the chain out of the downtown. I'm glad, especially as the University atmosphere affords a wealth of more unique, as well as eco-friendly options. To make their way in a rather ideologically hostile environment, Starbucks is cashing in on a classic American business model: the drive through. The two locations in town are both near the Interstate Highway and function just like McDonalds (ask me how I know). To identify and support non-coporate coffee joints in the Unites States and Canada, get delocated.

For me, Starbucks' draw is its nearly infallible reliability. For better or for worse, I know what I'm gonna get. A triple grande non-fat latte is a constant amidst the frightening reality of early morning. At any time of the day, on street corners, in grocery stores, Barnes & Nobles, and a host of airports, I can walk up to a Starbucks counter and demand re-tox. When other options are available, I'll nearly always take them, but it's nice to have a standard to react against.

In the interest of the little man, here and abroad, I avoid Starbucks when possible. But I don't plan to burn any permanent bridges just yet. Starbucks' incredible success and rapid growth may be concerning, but don't seem to constitute grounds for complete boycott. So for now, indulge my friends.... in moderation.







A critique of Starbucks and the Coffee Industry

Profile Article of SBC chairman Howard Schultz

Harvard Business School:"Starbucks: Heartfelt Motivation, Bottom-Line Accountability"

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

But Starbucks people don't make good foam!

martin said...

Totally brilliant Evan, I've been thinking similar things for a while. When does comittment to quality food, wine, coffee, books etc slip over into the realm of commodity fetishism? Should I buy sub-par products to make myself feel better.? Nah, thats commie talk...