




Greetings from Moody's organic coffee bar and internet cafe. I'm looking out the window down the main street of diminuitive white cottages that film buffs may remember as the shooting location of the 1966 cold war caper The Russians Are Coming The Russians Are Coming. Tomorrow we head back towards Missoula. A glance at the atlas confirms that there are no direct routes home.
Notable moments of the last week or so include:
-near disaster in Nevada: We became engrossed in John Updike's novel 'Villages' read on CD and, oblivious of the gas gauge, found ourselves deep into some of the most desolate country known to man. After half an hour on empty, we decreased our speed to 50 mph and endured one of the most tense hours of my life, ultimately creeping into Wells, NV. I got nearly 14 gallons of fuel into our 12 gallon tank. Blest be the fumes....
-Getting to be posh pikeys for a weekend
-Reunion with excellent members of the family, especially our younger cousins Kaleb and Amelia in Weimar, and Jenna in Angwin. Also Aunts and Uncles, The Weir Grandparents, and the very expectant Squires family.
-Some used booking just down the street from UC Berkely-we bought The Metaphysical Club and some sort of Gourmet Vegan (oxymoron?) cookbook.
-Breakfast this morning, early at 8:30, Jenny and I had to share a large oval table with eight boisterous pharmicists from central Georgia. It was completley terrifying.
4 comments:
Wow...didn't know you guys were travelling. Looks like it was a good time. You two look great! :)
Sounds like an incredible trip (except the bit with the pharmacists, which scares me). I can't wait to hear what you guys think about the Metaphysical Club, I loved it, but he can get a bit preachy about the 'contemporary relevance' of Pragmatism, and occasionally slips into Rorty territory, but yeah, its superbly written and makes you want to BE Charles Pierce. If you are crazy.
I do hope to find some way to see you guys soon, and will be in touch about that really soon. But: I found a really really good reason for you to visit me. And it's a latte.
Say what you will about your typical, garden variety latte, but down the street from me, I belatedly discovered the worlds greatest coffeeshop, and on a recomendation from the owner, ordered a 'Highroller" latte my second time in.
The Highroller is a specialized, in-house blend and roast of straight-from-the-estate Kahuna *and* Blue Mountain coffee. Yes. That's right. The two most esteemed coffees in the world, direct-from-grower, roasted on site. And my good sweet lord is it the best thing that has ever happened. Except that I literally cannot drink a starbucks latte now. They all taste flat and stale.
but yeah: best. latte. ever.
come vist, now.
(p.s. looks the vagrant will be up here next week...should be good times.)
you have until Wednesday to listen to Simon Pegg (Shaun from Shaun of the Dead and Tim from Spaced) being interviewed by Bill Bailey (Bilbo from Spaced). V V funny.
Goto BBC Radio 4 website and find the prog 'Chain Reaction'
Thanks Quick, wish Ann Arbor had been a convenient stop.
to Lapsarian: yeah I'm enjoying the book and anxious to get to the Pierce section. the highroller sounds divine. I'm leaving tomorrow. glad to hear the freeloader is headed up. tip: buy cereal. lots and lots of cereal.
to Gasmeter: thanks for the Simon Pegg tip. havn't had time yet but hopefully tonight. Ricky Gervais did a guest voice for a pseudoDavid Brent character on The Simpsons last night. It borrowed heavily from earlier material but was very funny at times...he woos Marge with the guitar...brilliant.
Post a Comment